The Arlington County Fair is working toward the goal of becoming a zero waste event!
What we are doing:
- Banning Styrofoam© food service items such as cups and clamshell containers distributed at the fair.
- Banning small condiment packets for mustard, ketchup and soil sauce, as well as small plastic Solo© cups for sauces. Vendors must use bulk distribution in paper cups for these items.
- Recycling all recyclable materials in a single-stream recycling system, including paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic materials.
- Expanding our composting efforts to be available throughout the fair. This removes food waste, paper products and other biodegradable items out of the event waste stream, reducing greenhouse gas emissions resulting from waste generated at the fair.
- Collecting food vendor grease that is taken to a plant for rendering. 40% of the processed grease is use to create bio fuel.
- Collecting and distributing manure generated by livestock at the fair for use in neighborhood gardens.
- Working with Arlington’s Car-Free Diet to promote transportation options to the fair, including biking and walking routes, nearby bike-share locations, bus and Metro options.
- Providing valet parking for bicycles free of charge for guests who bike to the event.
- Providing shuttle service for fair attendees from nearby parking facilities and Metro stops.
- Using reusable signage throughout the fair to minimize printed signage waste.
- Providing a water fill up station to encourage guests to use reusable water bottles.